Growing up my mom always made Date Squares (also known as Matrimonial Squares). For me this dessert is a tried and true comfort snack. It makes me feel cosy and nostalgic….most likely due to the fact that my Mom made them with love, which I in turn give my family 🙂
Here’s the recipe that she would use….not sure where it came from, but she had a large collection of cookbooks:
1-1/2 cups of quick oats (Quaker)
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup packed golden brown sugar
3/4 cup softened butter
1 lb pitted Medjool dates
1 cup water
1/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients for the crust.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the first 3 ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn temperature down to a simmer. Stir and push down on the dates until they are coming apart and mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and add in lemon juice. Cool 5 minutes.
4. Take 1/2 to 3/4’s of the crumb mix and press onto the bottom of a 9×9 pan that has been lined with parchment paper (I like the bottom thicker than the top). Spread the filling onto the bottom crust.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting.
6. Eat! 🙂